Friday, March 11, 2016

OUGD406 -Bank Note - Initial Ideas

I had an idea in my head what I wanted the layout and content of the banknote to be like. 


As a starting point for getting into the design aspect of my banknotes I began experimenting with hand rendered type that I may want to include on the notes, featuring the desired qualities my notes would represent. 

I hand drew all the lettering using coloured pencils on paper. 






As a quick mock-up of the idea I had in my head I produced this banknote design in photoshop. It has the desired quality, in this case 'Talent' and a famous figurehead in history, who is an icon for being talented. 

As it stands, this banknote has too much detail on it to be printed with screenprint/ monoprint etc. However it showcases the proposed layout of my banknote design. Typography, Bright colours, Iconic figure. 



This is the feedback I received for this piece of work. It was very helpful in influencing how to change the design for the better, and push it further.


  • 'I really like the colour scheme.' 


  • 'Be careful if you are going to use the figure of Frida KAhlo. She was and is an icon of feminism, and using colour like pink can be controversial and the message can be misunderstood. She was unique and very different, very controversial as well. The typeface could be rougher, like she was.' 
  • Someone else added: 'Also Frida Kahlo was notoriously against capitalism and mass produced art. She would be a bad choice in this context. You have to be aware of the social and political connotations. If you were making a one off, hand made, or even a limited edition run of prints, that would be more acceptable. 
  • 'I like the concept as it makes people think about money in a different, positive way. It is for an exhibition so you can be as expressive as you like - It isn't actually going to be used as a real currency.'
  • 'Very contemporary, youthful aestehtic. Less traditional - which is appropriate considering the notes being set in the future when traditions will be present.'
  • 'I like the idea of having a universal banknote that does not use language. (univerally acceptable) It would allow room to accommodate the future Global village.
  • 'The note should use a pop art style. The number of colour separations with the use of a fade (on areas such as the face) may be difficult to do with analogue processes.'


I asked: This concept is very theorietical ( money is made of qualities money can't buy' therefore it is worth more) The idea is designed to happen thousands of years into the future. Does it make sense?:


  • 'Without explanation probably not but for future generations probably. Idea works well. '
  • 'I love the idea but think 'thousands of years' in the future is too far.'
  • 'Maybe look at more modern famous people if this is set in the future. Past people will be less influential. I think it is a good concept though. '






No comments:

Post a Comment