Thursday, December 3, 2015

Study Task 07 - Design Principles - Paper Folding

As part of my development in making a short publication for OUGD404, studio brief one, I explored a range of different folding techniques used in the designs of various leaflets. 

I first had a look at some publications that used unusual folding techniques in their production.

One of my favourite design studio's Ro and Co. have created a number of designs that incorporate folds and interesting nets to create unusual and dynamic leaflets and invites. My favourite is the invitation for eco-focused label Bodkin’s fall ’09 presentation, which took the form of a Buckminster Fuller–inspired tetrahedron containing a living air plant. The paper folds out to reveal the information of the fashion show as well as a living plant that can survive purely from the oxygen and dust in the air. This design works well as not only does it resonate with the eco friendly ethos of Bodkin, but also encompasses a geometric folded design relating to the building in which the show was hosted. 



I also found this ingeniously crafted leaflet by Christian Nicolaus and Ute Mueller- Schloesser , two German Graphics students that designed the visual communication for "This is how we do it " , an event celebrating the 25th anniversary of architecture of the Academy of Arts and Design Department Stuttgart. Around the idea of free development, they developed this poster/leaflet that transforms as you fold it to reveal different messages.








For this study task we had to create an A4 guide explaining how to make a simple folded leaflet. I explored a range of different styles of leaflets but chose a design with a slotted feature to make a guided set of instructions for. 

I began by hand drawing a set of instructions using illustrations to explain the different steps. I then drew visual aids on the paper by hand to demonstrate where I was going to fold and cut the paper. 







Once I was happy with where the guides I made a digital version using illustrator.

Images of the simple leaflet design once I made it. 



This exercise was extremely helpful in opening my eyes to the possibilities of different paper folds in leaflet design. Using interesting folds and higher quality paper stock can go a long way in increasing the aesthetic and feel of a design, making a relatively cheap and simple design seem a lot more personal and interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment