Monday, November 2, 2015

Study Task: Typesetting

For our introduction to typesetting we had to find a takeaway menu and analyse the content on its readability, legibility, information and editorial design. 

We then had to redesign a part of the menu to demonstrate our understanding of what makes a good layout and aesthetic typesetting which easily communicates information.

I chose this menu because i found the layout confusing and an effort to read particularly in the top right hand column. There were a variety of different fonts in various sizes and font styles, which added to the confusing layout. 

Having the curry fillings in the top right hand corner creates difficulty in readability as the english language reads from top left to right, this type of alignment is called 'flush left', therefore switching up the layout in this way confuses the reader.

The colour scheme was also distracting having a range of different colours including an ombre red. 

It took me a while to get my head around the layout and to understand the information that was being given to me as the readability was so poor, so I addressed all of these issues in my redesign. 



For starters I got rid of the mismatch colour palette and stuck to simple black and white theme to prevent any confusion or clashing in the writing. I then altered the layout so the curry fillings were at the bottom of the page, flushed left to aid repeatedly looking at the curry types and flavours, rather than flicking diagonally across the page with your eyes. 

Using only 1 font I kept to a maximum of 2 sizes for the title, curry names and levels of spice. To emphasise words I simply adjusted the line height and altered the stroke. 

I made sure the lines were no longer than 65 characters long for optimum legibility, and tried to keep them as equal as possible to obtain a more pleasing profile. 

Overall I believe my resolution is much easier to read and understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment