Wednesday, November 9, 2016

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 01 - Evaluation

This brief gave me a valuable insight into the factors that need to be considered when designing a publication for print and gave me the knowledge and skillset to produce industry standard work in the future.  

Not only has the process been an insightful learning curve into producing a printed publication, but it has taught me the values of good time management and how organisation is crucial on projects where there are many different time restraints.

As there were a range of practical processes involved such as printing, binding and foiling it was crucial that I booked print slots and did practice runs to ensure the final design came together without any hiccups, as one mistake could have been detrimental to the cost of production.  

Over the course of the project I was encouraged to explore a range of different ideas to
progress from an initial starting point of a couple dozen photographs to a finished product with an interesting and unique concept.  The ideas for the content transformed multiple times from a typography trail, to a mark making trail, to a celebration of the vibrancy of life in the Devonshire Quarter and the process taught me how to explore a number of different possibilities before deciding on the most relevant.

I did a vast amount of research into existing art and photography books at the start of the project, evaluating their binding methods, the stock they used and the way in which their content was laid out. This increased my knowledge of design principles and techniques allowing me to become more ambitious in my project aims.  My understanding of similar products on the market also increased and I can now evaluate their success and relevancy with a greater degree of critical understanding.

My skillset increased throughout this brief as I learnt an array of new processes including flocking, foiling, embossing, de-bossing and a range of different binding methods. The lighting inductions also provided invaluable knowledge when it came to photographing my products which I can use on all future projects.

Something I am still getting to grips with is the process of using a grid in my work. For some reason the idea of grids, margins, ratios and gutters still terrify me even though I know the benefits they bring and how useful they are in design! This is something I’m getting better at though.  


In regards to the final design I believe the materials and processes I used were all well informed by my intended target audience and with this in mind production costs were kept to a minimum. Overall the finished piece was successful in it’s aims and every element was well informed by the purpose of the final design.

No comments:

Post a Comment