Tuesday, January 10, 2017

OUGD504 - Design for Screen - Website Video

In industry designers work together with developers to bring the website to life through coding. However it is the designers job to communicate the ways in which they expect the website to move and respond to the user. This can be achieved by animating the design in programmes such as After Effects , iMovie and premiere to give to the developer as an example of how you want the website to work in reality, avoiding confusion and problems further down the line.

I used both iMovie and After Effects to bring the design to life, showing examples of how different user interfaces would work and how the users mouse interacted with the page in areas such as hovering over the images to flick through them in the search results.
This is the final video for my website design which showcases all the elements of the website which enhance the user experience. 

Unfortunately parts of the design turned out pixelated when I exported the video however if you refer to my previous designs you can see them as they are meant to be. 




For my summative feedback I wanted to ask a few questions to see if I had succeeded in creating a design for a student housing website that was more appropriate than StuRents or Rightmove. 


The first Question I asked was, ‘Is the use of a personal page to store your favourited houses and contact letting agents appropriate?’ 

Everyone agreed that it was, as it meant that it was easier to store your searches in one easy to find place and it made life easier when it came to contacting letting agents and remembering when you had viewings. 

The next thing I wanted to know was ‘is the colour scheme I have used too simple or do you think I should have incorporated more colours?’

The feedback I received was all positive and people agreed that the limited colour palette of just charcoal greys and white was an improvement on the other colour schemes of similar sites as it was modern, simple and easy to read. 

One opinion was that ‘the design is very minimal but highly effective.’ 

I then wanted to know if the design of my website was legible and easy to understand? 

The feedback again was positive saying that the way I had laid it out was easy to read and that the size and styles of typography I had used were appropriate. Everyone agreed that it was a big improvement on current websites as it wasn't too cluttered and everything was self explanatory. 

Reflecting on this project, I believe that I have created a successful website that students both British and international will be able to navigate easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment