Friday, March 24, 2017

OUGD503 - Responsive - YCN BEAR - Evidence of Submission


Explain why you chose this brief, and how your view of the brand has changed since you began working on it.

I chose the BEAR brief as I wanted to take part in a project where I could showcase my illustrative style and incorporate a range of processes such as hand rendered type, print making, textures and illustrations. I felt that BEAR had never previously explored a series in this style of design before, usually featuring purely digitally rendered graphics. I also thought it would be fun and exciting to research a fact series, learning new and interesting facts along the way. The brief also gave me the opportunity to explore another process as well as making a set of cards for their ‘collectible mechanic’, in this case App design.
I am already a consumer of bear products such as the Yoyo’s and the Alphabites due to their health benefits so was automatically drawn to the brief anyway.    

Since I began working on this project I’ve come to realise that the brand packs a punch for young children and doesn’t treat kids like they’re timid, fragile or naïve. It encourages children to be brave, adventurous and creative and hopefully I have created a series that reflects this and encourages their inquisitive minds.


Please give a short description of your work and the thinking behind it.

The theme I chose for the series of cards is Bonkers Bodies, exploring all of the gross, cool and fascinating facts associated with the human body. Each card is illustrated by hand in a range of mixed media including paint, ink and charcoal and then digitally rendered to incorporate a mix of organic textures. The front of the card features a bright and bold illustration of the accompanying ‘discovery’ made by Bear on the back of the card. There are then a range of facts on that body part that the card is exploring. For the ‘collectable mechanic’, Bear has been shrunken down to a minuscule size and is on an Anatomy Adventure exploring all of our bonkers body parts. He needs your help to navigate his way around which can be done by downloading the Anatomy Adventures app and unlocking new levels with the bar codes found on the outside of each pack. Each barcode unlocks a level matching the bonkers body part of the card inside the pack which kids can then play along with at home.

My concept was inspired by various children’s television shows such as Arthur, Honey I shrunk the Kids and even cartoons I now watch as an adult such as Rick and Morty. I was also shocked by the sheer amount of unbelievable facts I found on the body when I began my research, allowing for the concept to be stretched across a large range of cards without any overlap or lack of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment