Wednesday, February 17, 2016

OUGD404 - Studio Brief 02 - What is a Book? - Brief & Response

Completing the first small publication in Studio Brief 01 provided me with new knowledge and skills that could be applied to this project. The brief is as follows:


Brief: 

'Produce a book made up of a set of 10 double page layouts.

Your page content that should be informed by a personal interest but should, in turn, demonstrate a growing understanding of the fundamental principles of grid, layout, type and format plus the form, function and construction of books: all of which is introduced during studio sessions and workshops. These principles and techniques should then prove to be a useful starting point to develop a set series or sequence of page layouts that effectively communicates your chosen content.

Your 10 layouts should include a contents page and an introduction to the content.

This brief will be supported by talks and workshops'.


Response: 

After considering a few routes to go down including 'the best 10 burgers in Leeds' I decided to create a publication on one of my favourite actors, Danny DeVito showcasing all of his most memorable roles. After getting into a series called 'It's always sunny in Philadelphia' I rediscovered my love for Danny DeVito and the hilarious characters he plays. 

In making this publication I also wanted to show off my passion for illustration by hand drawing all of the illustrations in the book. I wanted the feel of the book to be like the ones you can find in 'colours may vary' and 'urban outfitters' all with a lot of stylised illustrations.

After discussing this idea with a few peers it made me more and more excited about producing the book as everyone I told the idea to were really interested by it.

My tutor commeneted: 'It's something you don't realise you want until you know about it'. 

Aims:

Before beginning to produce the publication I made a list of aims I wanted to stick to to ensure the publication looked professional with market value at the end. 

  • Produce all hand drawn illustrations with a continual style throughout the book 
  • Make an appropriate mix of characters to research 
  • Keep the information inside short and snappy
  • Book bind the publication to a high quality finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment