Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Study Task 09 - Design Principles - Bookbinding

This week we had a bookbinding workshop where we learnt three different methods of making books: Concertina bound, Japanese Stitch and Saddle Stitch.


Saddle Stitch 

This method was the easiest as it involved the least time and effort and would be appropriate when creating zines or small publications, cheaply and quickly. It was really easy to do and really fun to make. 



Japanese Stitch

This method was a lot harder but creates a nicer finish which would be more appropriate if making a nice notebook as a gift or stylised publication like a posh magazine about interior design / high end fashion etc. It was a lot more complicated than the first method however if you paid attention and didn't rush it this finish is really beautiful and you can play around with different patterns of stitch like diamond and triangle shapes.  



Concertina Stitch 

This was the most time consuming method and involved a lot of messy glue which I wasn't a fan of. I preferred the stitched methods as they looked a lot more hand made and personal once they were finished. 

The pages in my publication buckled a lot because I used too much glue but pritt stick would have removed this problem. 

I also bound the cover wrong at the end which made the corners poke out, but that can be something I avoid if I do it again. 

This book could be appropriate as a children's book or stylised cook book / look book of some sort. 




Overall learning the bookbinding techniques was really fun and now I have a really valuable skill that I can put to use in making my own publications. 


No comments:

Post a Comment