Monday, February 1, 2016

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 01 - Personal Practice - Secret 7: 2015 Designs

For the first study task of studio brief 01 for OUGD406 we were given the task of choosing an album cover to design from the 2015 Secret 7 Lineup, and make one obvious design and one ambiguous. 

I chose the Macabbees 'Go'. 

For the literal approach the first thing that came to mind was a racing flag signalling go. I found one online which obviously wouldn't be suitable as a final resolution as it is someone else's photograph. 
I then zoomed in to make it appear more abstract and added  filter to make it more appropriate for an album cover, allowing it to stand out. 

For the ambiguous image I defined the word go. One of the definitions came back as to leave; depart quickly or rapidly. After listening to the lyrics of the song in closer detail I discovered it was describing a relationship that was on the rocks/coming to an end. This is when I had the idea of making a pattern from objects that could easily be forgotten/left behind if you were to leave your partner's house rapidly. Some items I thought of included keys, pens and hair ties. Then I remembered how easily I lose and forget hair grips, which many girls (and boys with girlfriends) can relate to. 

This is when I made a pattern from hair grips. I wasn't 100% happy with the pattern I made and felt it was missing something so i made one hair clip green to add a focal point to the album cover. Green is also the colour most people associate with the word go. 



These were the two final outcomes. There were mixed opinions on the one people found the most appropriate but everyone liked the fact that they both had a sense of movement with the distortion of the squares on the flag and the falling motion of the hair grips. 

This task was helpful in showing us how both obvious and ambiguous designs can be equally as successful when designing an album cover. Yet it is the one that stands out that is usually the most popular. 

No comments:

Post a Comment