Friday, October 16, 2015

Studio Brief 2: Symbol


The second study task we have been given was to create a symbol that would work simultaneously with the pre existing logo for Yorkshire Sculpture Park. 


I had a range of initial ideas focussing on both the sculptures I found in the park and the grounds they were set in. The image above shows a range of photos and sketches inspired by the park that could be used as a potential logo. The top row of images were inspired by Dennis Oppenheim's Alternative Landscape Components, or as I like to call them, Toilet Trees. I thought they made some really visually interesting shapes that could have a lot of potential to be used in a logo.
The bottom images were inspired by the map of the park and the outlines themselves. I focussed on the shape of the outline then added in dots where the permanent exhibitions were, to add a bit of interest and make it more relevant. I also tried making the shape more abstract (inspired by the sculptures found in the park by Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth) and use looser lines to mimic this effect.

However the main things that interested me from the park, and that I thought had the most potential to turn into different outcomes were the Barbara Hepworth Sculptures 'The Family of Man'. 
These sculptures are a permanent feature of the park, donated by Hepworth and created in 1970. 
I did a range of sketches of these sculptures but decided again to take it down a more abstract minimalist route, reminiscent of the simplistic shapes Hepworth builds upon. 




These were a range of sketches of the sculptures I did looking at the different forms Hepworth creates.


These were my favourite 4.


I narrowed it down to 3 shapes and started playing around with the layout, overlapping them and experimenting with different compositions.



 I then played around with a variety of strokes, altering the thickness of the line to see if it would be more legible, or less legible on different scales when the logo was reproduced. 



I tried to take it as far as I could but I think I went a bit over the top towards the end creating extremely abstract shapes. However I still think they make interesting forms. 

This was the thickness I decided to run with as it would be good when used in colour and as negative space. I'm not very happy with the quality of this as the image started going a bit grainy however when I get more confident in illustrator I will experiment with making the shapes into vectors.


This is the image placed against darker logo backgrounds and changed to white, exploring it's potential when used as negative space. I experimented with dragging the logo outside the boarder of the shapes (top right) and looked at different compositions it could work in such as against a square rather than a circle. I kept with the circle as that is what the preexisting logo already is so it would remain complimentary and I also feel the shapes within the lines I drew of the sculpture were already quite 'blocky' and square, so the round edges of the circle frame the design nicely.


I then stopped to assess the progress I had made and asked my peers their opinions. The logo I had so far was effective however it was starting to look a bit cluttered and busy, which could effect the impact it made on different scales. I addressed this issue by re drawing the 3 shapes I had chosen, making them even more simple and and uncluttered. Then i regrouped them in the same order. One of the comments I got in the crit Session was that the 3 shapes looked better when 'stood alone' before being overlapped, which I could look into further if I revisited this project. However I feel the overlapping lines create a more visually interesting composition and encourage a sense of interaction from the audience to interpret their meaning in different ways.   



And this is the final logo I chose. I'm really happy with the shapes created and I think it is really successful both as a stand-alone symbol and with the pre-existing logo for YSP. 

My logo used on the YSP website

My logo used on signage from YSP grounds

My logo used on a mock up postcard for YSP

Logo used on mock up merchandise 

Logo used with the typeface from the YSP website


CRIT FEEDBACK FROM MY GROUP:


The majority of the feedback I received from my group was positive however there were a few helpful points made about things I could have looked into further to give my work more depth and understanding. 

'I personally preferred the logo in a square, however the circle links in with the current logo'
-I did experiment with a lot of different backgrounds but went for the circle for this reason. I believe this comment shows that my logo works in many formats and is diverse enough to use in a wide range of contexts. 

There were a lot of positive comments on how I had applied the logo in various contexts including on signage and the website. 

'I preferred the version where the shapes were not overlapping' 

'looks better with non-overlapping shapes'

These are 2 valuable comments because I took a lot of time deliberating on whether to overlap the sculptures or not. I too thought they worked well on their own but may have been a bit lost/unsubstantial when used in a logo,  however I think if this was used as a logo for the park, the individual shapes (not overlapped) could be used in different contexts perhaps as mascots or various markers for park signs etc.

'fill in the holes with a block grey colour to make it clear they are holes' 

'Fill in some of the sculptures with block colour'

More interesting points that I hadn't previously thought of. 

Favourite comment:

'I could see this as a real logo for the park'


No comments:

Post a Comment