Friday, April 1, 2016

OUGD404 - Studio Brief 02 - Thumbnail and Mock ups

As a designer it is our job to help the reader read the words by positioning text and images in such a way as to be appropriate for the content but also navigable by the human eye. This is true for any layout whether it’s for a glossy fashion spread, reportage or an instruction booklet.

To be creative but effective with type it is essential that I have a clear grasp of the fundamental principles of type composition. It’s great to break the rules but I must learn them first, understand what I'm looking at and make informed design decisions

I Started by producing mini thumbnail compositions of my chosen layout on layout paper with blocked-in positions of type and image giving consideration to the possible underlying grid. Using one of my illustrations and Lorum an Ipsum I gave my layout the weight and impact of an actual print. I aimed to simulate in miniature how it would appear if actually printed.



I tried to produce work through drawing and specifying layouts that demonstrated:


Grids                                    Sub-heads                    DPS                    Rules & Boxes

Columns                              Paragraphs                 Images                     
Headlines                             
Margins                                 Captions                  Measures                   Imposition


Elements that I left out of my design included:

Gutters - I didn’t have any rows and collums as the boxes were so small I could include everything in just one text box. I did however incorporate
margins surrounding the text boxes.

Drop Caps - I didn’t include drop caps as it wouldn’t have fit in with the overall aesthetic of my work and I feel it would have made the text look too busy / cluttered. 

Pagination - There was no need to use
pagination as everything was layed out in ordered strips and although each illustration and
correspoding information box was classed as a ‘double page spread’ they each could be laid out as single sheets.

Folio Numbers - As the finished product was a concertina book I felt there was no need to include folio numbers as they would act as a hinderence rather than a help. 


The shape of the publication didn’t really lend itself to having page numbers at the bottom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment