Friday, April 29, 2016

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 01 - Secret 7 - Evaluation

This project was the first time I had been allowed to explore my own illustrative style for a brief and allowed me to be as experimental as I wanted for the first time in the module as there were no restrictions other than the fact it had to fit on a 7" by 7" album sleeve. 

Coming from a fine art background I hadn’t had a chance to play around with illustration in this way and the brief gave me an opportunity to really explore my illustrative style without having to make everything realistic and in proportion.

It gave me a chance to look at how other artists such as Jean Jullien are celebrated for their naive style of drawing and has given me the confidence to use this approach more in my work. 

Up until now the briefs had been very rigid in terms of the deliverables we had to produce eg. something suitable to be used in a practical sense by all of the public. However this brief was the complete opposite and encouraged us to explore as many different routes and styles as possible. 

It was a really proud moment when my design for Jack Garratt's 'Worry' got chosen to be in the exhibition at Sonos Studios in London

If I was to do the brief again I would explore a range of different processes including collage and screen printing / monoprinting rather than only simply scanning my illustration into the computer as I did in this project. 

Many of the designs I made would lend themselves perfectly to being screen printed as they only had a maximum of  3 / 4 different colour separations.

I would also submit a handmade physical sleeve rather than a digitally printed copy, as it gives a much more personal handmade touch to whoever buys the record. 

Overall I really enjoyed this brief and will definitely be entering Secret7 again next year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment