Friday, April 22, 2016

OUGD406 - Studio Brief 04 - Reflective Practice - Speaking From Experience - Initial Ideas

Aiming to entertain, inform and give advice.

I wanted to take mistakes I had made in the year and make them into funny posters using screen print to create them, focusing on typography and illustration. 

These are my initial ideas: 
  • 'YOU'VE GOT BEAR BLOGGING TO DO' - with an illustrated bear blogging. 
  • 'ALWASY PROOF REED' - purposely spelt wrong. Maybe on a tattoo.
  • 'BLOG DON'T SLOG' - with the definitions of both words underneath. 
  • 'BOOK THE PRINT ROOM NOW' - Maybe an unborn baby to emphasise point. 
  • 'DON'T CHASE GRADES - EXPLORE!' 
  • 'THROW YOURSELF IN AT THE DEEP END!' 



I would use a simple screen print and nice stock to make a fun A3 poster. 

This is the bear I drew for one of the ideas:
Feedback: Add pencil to his ear and scraps of food / paper / pencil sharpening in his fur to show the stress of the bear. 

I know I've spelt 'there's' wrong, OOOPS!



Other Idea:



For the 'Aways proof read I was considering using an illustration like this one by jean jullien to emphasise the point'. 




To get some peer feedback I asked 2 questions about my ideas:

Which is your favourite idea?

- 'Book the Print room' Screen print will make it cheap to reproduce

- 'Book the Print room' 

- 'Blog don't slog' - a good slogan, very relevant as a lot of us leave it to last minute.

- 'I like the bear pun' 

- 'Bear blogging' - love the illustration and the humour is simple yet informative way to get the point across' 

- 'I like them all, maybe you could produce a series of posters to go on the studio walls.' I think you could produce 4/5 posters quite easily. I think if they were framed in the studio people would be engaged and take the advice. Love the illustrations but I'd work on your typography., not a fan of the drop shadows. Maybe use book the print room as that's very important advice!! 

- Bear! I love it!

- The print room poster is so clever!

- They all look good but would be great to produce them as a set!

- In terms of usefulness the the blog it info is the best idea, the screen print is my favourite idea though. 

- You've got bear blogging to do is my favourite as it's playful but highlights important advice.


Anything I could do to improve the designs?

- I feel the slogan 'Blog don't Slog' is strong and would be more effective without the word definitions. The small text takes away the impactful, bold coloured type.

- Add some food / bits of paper to the bear's fur to make it look bare stressed out. 

-Perhaps just use the slogans by themselves to make them more visually appealing.

Other Feedback

- Create a series of similar prints with 3 -4 of the concepts, there are a lot of strong funny concepts here that could follow a consistent theme. 

- I feel engaging the audience is key in this brief. Think of the target audience - Design students - what would engage you? they're all really good ideas. 

- It's really engaging and the tone of voice is really refreshing and posh

- Purely type screen prints might look really good, use neon stock etc. Create something people would want to stick up in their bedroom

- IT is engaging, perhaps experiment with other colour combinations. 

- The tone of voice is obviously a soft, humorous one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment